- 1 How do you read a GM body code?
- 2 How do you read a Chevy VIN number?
- 3 What each digit means in a VIN?
- 4 How do I read a VIN code?
- 5 What do Chevy VIN numbers mean?
- 6 Can a VIN number be 12 digits?
- 7 How do you read a VIN plate weight?
- 8 What is the breakdown of a VIN number?
- 9 What do the last 6 digits of a VIN mean?
- 10 How do you read a 17 digit VIN number?
- 11 What does J mean in VIN?
- 12 How do I check a VIN number for free?
- 13 Does VIN number TELL year?
- 14 What does a VIN look like?
How do you read a GM body code?
Consisting of 2 numbers and 1 letter, the code tells you the month and week of the month the car was built. The 2 digits represent the month (01=January, 02=Feburary, etc.) while the letter represents the week of the month (A=1st week, B=2nd week, etc.).
How do you read a Chevy VIN number?
How to Decode a Chevrolet VIN?
- 1G1 = Manufacturer (Chevrolet United States)
- J = Platform Code (Chevrolet Cavalier)
- C = Platform Series Code.
- 1 = Body Style (Two-Door Coupe)
- 2 = Restraint Type.
- 4 = Engine Type (LN2; 2.2L; Gas L4 SFI)
- 0 = Security Code.
- 1 = Model Year (2001)
What each digit means in a VIN?
The first group of three numbers and letters in a VIN make up the world manufacturer identifier (WMI). In this group, the first digit or letter identifies the country of origin. The third digit, when combined with the first two letters or numbers, indicates the vehicle’s type or manufacturing division.
How do I read a VIN code?
How to decode a VIN?
- Digits 1 through 3 combined is the WMI, (World Manufacturer Identifier).
- Digits 4 through 8 represent the vehicle descriptor section.
- Digit 9 is a check digit.
- Digits 10 through 17 is the Vehicle Identifier Section.
- The 11th digit is the manufacturer’s plant code.
What do Chevy VIN numbers mean?
Every Chevrolet car has a unique identifier code called a VIN. This number contains vital information about the car, such as its manufacturer, year of production, the plant it was produced in, type of engine, model and more.
Can a VIN number be 12 digits?
A 12-character VIN number In some cases, the VIN you will find in the car will only contain 12 characters. The number may be shorter because the previous one was damaged or unreadable and the owner decided to replace it in accordance with applicable regulations.
How do you read a VIN plate weight?
The VIN plate will display either 3 or 4 sets of weights.
- – The top figure ‘A’ is the gross vehicle weight, the Maximum Allowable Mass (MAM) of the vehicle including occupants, fuel and payload.
- – The second figure ‘B’ is the gross train weight, this is the combined maximum allowable mass of the vehicle and trailer.
What is the breakdown of a VIN number?
A VIN is composed of 17 characters (digits and capital letters) that act as a unique identifier for the vehicle. A VIN displays the car’s unique features, specifications and manufacturer. The VIN can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty claims, thefts and insurance coverage.
What do the last 6 digits of a VIN mean?
The last six digits of a VIN reveal the vehicle’s regular production options (RPO) and is also commonly referred to as its serial number. These last six digits identify all of the factory fitted options, as provided by the manufacturer—imagine it as the vehicle’s ‘DNA.
How do you read a 17 digit VIN number?
It begins with A for 1980, the first year a standard 17-digit VIN was used. Subsequent years follow the alphabet of to “Y” in the year 2000. In 2001, the year changes to the number “1”, and ascends to “9” In 2009. In 2010, the alphabet starts again with the letter “A” for 2010 model years.
What does J mean in VIN?
Vehicles with VINs that start with “J” were produced in Japan. The next five digits (4 through 8) are the Vehicle Description Section (VDS). The 11th digit is the plant code. Finally, digits 12 – 17 are the unique serial number.
How do I check a VIN number for free?
You can get a free VIN check at the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), VehicleHistory.com or iSeeCars.com/ VIN. Just pop in your car’s digits and these sites will do the VIN lookup and give you information on the vehicle.
Does VIN number TELL year?
The 10th character in the 17-character VIN represents the vehicle model-year.
What does a VIN look like?
What is a VIN? VIN is short for Vehicle Identification Number. Autozone.com explains that a VIN is normally printed on a single line and consists of 17 characters that are made up of both numbers and letters. If your vehicle was manufactured before 1981, your VIN number may have fewer than 17 characters.